Have you noticed that your windows aren’t functioning properly anymore, are drafty or are old and falling apart? If so, it’s probably time to consider replacing them. While you can replace windows one by one, updating the windows throughout your whole house at one time is often a better bet. Here’s why:
- It’s more cost-efficient. When you replace all of your windows at one time, you’ll save money on labor costs. Rather than paying an installation fee each time a window needs to be replaced, you’ll only have to pay it once.
- You’ll see greater energy savings. Approximately 25-30 percent of heating and cooling energy is lost through windows, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. By upgrading your entire house with energy-efficient windows and new framing, your energy costs will decrease.
- Your home’s value will increase. Installing new windows throughout the house provides you with an immediate boost in your home’s equity. Homeowners who install new windows recoup around 80 percent of the cost. Given the high return on investment, this can be particularly important if you plan on selling your home in the near future.
- It looks better. Curb appeal is more than just landscaping, it also includes windows! Having a mismatched window, especially on the front side of the house, can be an eyesore. By replacing all of your windows at once, you won’t have to worry about a window style being discontinued or out of stock in the future.
- You can reclaim your time. New windows are made from materials that require no maintenance and are easy to clean. Instead of spending your weekends painting your framing or hauling out the ladder to wash the upstairs windows, you can relax on the couch and enjoy the view from your new windows.